Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Working :D & Working :D

Well, yesterday i'm to busy even for eat and now it's so quiet until i felt a sleep. So, i just directly blogging at the campus library (yes, it's my working place) over my precious working desk.

Although it's holiday but our library was so crowded. I'm quiet overwhelm with people's questions and requests. Suddenly, an old man (a very old man that don't even know how to use computer and don't not know specifically what is he searching for) appear in front of me.

 He approaching me and asking "excuse me, can-u-help-me please?"

Me : " of course, *smiling with enthusiasm*"

He : "ummm.. I'm-searching-for-linguistic-books. I-don't-know-the-books. But, i-got-the-authors-lists.

Me : " Okay, let me help you with the OPAC (Online Catalogue) "

He : " umm... I'm not used to computer"

Me : " Okay, i'll search it for you *taking his notes* *keep smiling*

I keep search and searching like a dumb and can't find anything he requests. Well, indeed i got the same author with his notes but the title was " Trade as the engine of growth in developing countries blabla". I think that have nothing to do with "l-i-n-g-u-i-s-t-i-c".

This is strange, because he said that these books can only be found at our library. He also told me with his whispering voice that his son saw these books in our facebook notifications. So, i'm asking him, "are you sure?" He replied calmly that he is sure.

So i search again and after 5 minutes he told me that "ummm, actually i'm not really sure, because i heard those name and i "kira-kira" (means = presumably) write it down".

OMG! Haiyaaa!
Why don't u say it earlier...  No wonder arrr... If i keep searching until my comp explode i'll  still never get it.

He continues that he is searching for an ancient language to track down the origin of some kind of  tribes (well, i can't see how that is related *figure it out later*). TA-RAAA.. I got an idea..

Me : Sir, would u please write down that specific language call what?

He : P-A-D-O-E

Me : *thinking, imagined an ancient, isolated tribe wearing koteka and shouting UU-AA-WA*, back to  reality, and immediately put in P-A-D-O-E and find out that  there were three entries in the OPAC.

But, my trouble don't end there... Unfortunately, the books is sooo far away at the language library. The language library was closed by the moment.. Before i gave my answer, my boss and supervisor shown up and i quickly told them the situation.

My boss really spell out loud every word to the poor old man. We did our best to get the books so his effort to come so far away wasn't a waste of time. My colleague even give him a chair in front of my desk. We figured out that the books actually sold by the language library but the old man don't want to buy it because he only needs several pages and not the entire books.

The kind hearted boss then allow him to photocopy. She ask the old man to sit and ask my colleague to photocopy it. While waiting for the books, he pointed at the word Padoe in the books and keep telling me Padoe, Padoe.... His face started to form a smile ( like a small child smiles when given some ice cream or sweets) and he say thanks to me.

Then with a satisfied and happy face, he thanks me *again* and walk out like a child walking out from a toy store, grabbing his toys with full of proud.

He : " Thank you, child" *smiling widely*

Me : "It's a pleasure to help you, Sir...See ya.."

Although it takes an hour for us to solve this problem but i'm satisfied that i can help an old man. It's just makes me feel better that i can help that old man :D

Guys, i really wonder why his son let him alone comes from the nearby city to search for a specific books like that. I hope that next time someone would accompany that poor old man by his journey. What do you think?   Any Comment? Leave it below :D
  

No comments:

Post a Comment